The ticket for all students under the age of 26.
Travel throughout Vienna, day and night, for five months.
When is the semester pass valid?
The semester pass is valid for five months: in the winter semester, from 1 September to 31 January, and in the summer semester, from 1 February to 30 June. Students can obtain a summer holidays monthly ticket for July and August.
Where is the semester pass valid?
The ticket is valid on all lines within Vienna (core zone of Vienna) on the underground, trams and buses (with the exception of special rapid bus lines), trains operated by ÖBB (e.g. suburban trains) and on services operated by Wiener Lokalbahnen (as far as Vösendorf-Siebenhirten).
Who can use the semester pass?
The ticket is valid for ordinary students of a study institution pursuant to Sec. 3 of the Studies Promotion Act (Studienförderungsgesetz – StudFG) who are under the age of 26 when the respective semester begins. The winter semester begins on 1 September and the summer semester begins on 1 February.
Until when do I have to have my principal place of residence in Vienna for me to be able to get the semester pass for EUR 75.00?
Students with their principal place of residence in Vienna pay EUR 75.00 for the semester pass. You can buy the ticket if your principal place of residence at the time of purchase is in Vienna. In order to check this, Wiener Linien needs a valid confirmation of residence (Meldezettel) or a current extract from the residence register.
Which documents do I need when buying the ticket at the customer service centre or at the ticket offices?
You need the completed order form for the semester pass. You can download the form here in the download box or collect it from a ticket office or the Erdberg customer service centre. You also need a valid confirmation of enrolment for the respective semester and a valid student ID. Students with their principal place of residence in Vienna require a valid confirmation of residence (Meldezettel) or a current extract from the residence register to be able to obtain a semester pass.
Do I need to carry student ID with me when travelling?
Yes. When travelling, you always need to carry valid student ID with you in addition to the semester pass. If you do not have any valid student ID when courses start, you can also carry a valid confirmation of enrolment and photo ID with you.
What should I do if I lose the semester pass?
If you lose your semester pass or if it is stolen, you can have a duplicate issued at any of our ticket offices or at the customer service center in Erdberg for a fee of EUR 10.00. To this end, we require an official loss or theft report.
If you bought your ticket in the Wiener Linien online ticket shop, you can print it out again free of charge.
Where can you get information about subsidies for students from Lower Austria or Burgenland?
The provinces of Lower Austria and Burgenland support students with their principal place of residence in Lower Austria or Burgenland with subsidies. You can find further information here by clicking on one of the following links (in German):
Where can I buy the semester pass?
- Online: You can buy the semester pass in the Wiener Linien online ticket shop and print it out yourself. If you lose it, you can print the ticket out again free of charge. Please note the advice below.
- Mobile: Moreover, you can buy the ticket using the WienMobil app or the Wiener Linien ticket app (for iOS and Android, download the app in the box on the left).
- Ticket office: You can also buy the ticket at the ticket offices and at the Erdberg customer service centre. To do this, please bring your valid confirmation of enrolment for the respective semester.
Students with their principle place of residence in Vienna require a valid confirmation of residence (Meldezettel) or an extract from the residence register with the same date as the ticket purchase date to be able to obtain a semester pass.
This is how to order in the online ticket shop
Step 1: Register in the shop
Step 2: Check eligibility
In order for you to be able to buy the semester pass in the online shop, you first need to register in the shop. Before you are able to buy the ticket, it is first checked to see whether you meet the eligibility criteria: to this end, your details (enrolment number, name, first name, date of birth, place of birth) are compared with the Federal Electronic Data Processing Centre (Bundesrechenzentrum) and/or your study institution.
The check is only performed once you have given your express permission to compare online details via a secure SSL connection. No details are transmitted here to Wiener Linien. Only the accuracy or inaccuracy of the details being queried is confirmed. Only once the details have been confirmed can the online purchase be carried out.
- This check only leads to a positive result (i.e.: you can only order the ticket online) if your details entered in Wiener Linien’s online ticket shop fully match the details from your study institution.
- When you are enrolling for the first time, the process of enrolment must be performed before you buy your semester pass (see details check).
- If you are not yet enrolled to continue with your studies, the details provided for the previous semester are also taken into account when querying the details.
Step 3: Payment
If your details have been confirmed, you can pay for the ticket via online banking or credit card and print it out. We accept Visa/card complete, MasterCard/PayLife, American Express and Diners Club/AirPlus.
If you lose your ticket, you can print it out again free of charge.
Students at the following universities can buy the semester pass online:
- Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU Wien)
- Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien)
- Vienna University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU)
- University of Vienna
- Medical University of Vienna (MU Wien)
- University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna
- University of Education Vienna
- University of Education Lower Austria
- University of Religious Education Vienna/Krems
- University of Agricultural and Environmental Education Vienna
- University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna
- University of Applied Arts Vienna
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- UAS Technikum Wien
- Private University of Music and Art City of Vienna
- UAS Vienna degree courses from the Vienna Economic Chamber
- UAS of BFI Vienna
- UAS CAMPUS Vienna
- Sigmund Freud Private University (SFU)